Born in Yokohama, Japan, Izumi Tanaka discovered THE magic as a little girl influenced by her father and grandfather’s passion for photography. She’s been taking pictures in one way or the other ever since.
After more than 20 years of working in documentary productions for televisions and films, she rekindled her passion for photography in the last decade shooting interiors, lifestyle and portraits appearing numerous publications including Dwell, USA Today, Los Angeles Magazine.
She is also actively producing body of work in fine art/documentary photography appearing in solo and group exhibits around the country and receiving awards.
Izumi is a charter member of Los Angeles Center of Photography, member of American Society of Media Photographers, and lives in Los Angeles, California with her husband and two cats.
- Imagen Award Nomination for Best Feature Documentary, “Pushin’ Forward”
- Jizo Peace Center Humanitarian Award, “Pushin’ Forward”
- Emmy Award Nomination in the Craft and Research Category for a feature documentary, “Nanking,” as written up in Rafu Shimpo.
- First Place Award by Council for Aging, “Aging as Art” Juried Photo Exhibition
- Second Place Award by Pasadena Photography Arts, “Smartphonography“
- Finalist, the 7th Edition of the Pollux Awards, Category Landscapes and Seascapes – Professional Section
- “Forest & the Sea” – Jack’s, Santa Monica Feb-Mar. 2014
- “LACP Third Annual Members Juried Exhibit” juried by January Parkos Arnall – Los Angeles Center of Photography, July 2016
- fresh stART 2016 curated by Cris McCall, McCall Art Advisory – Santa Monica Art Studios
- “In This Frame” – Los Angeles Center of Photography, October 2015
- “LACP Second Annual Members Juried Exhibit” juried by Patricia Lenza, Annenberg Foundation – Los Angeles Center of Photography, July 2015
- HaleARTS Space Two-Person Show – Santa Monica, Nov. 2014
- “LACP First Annual Members Juried Exhibit” juried by Paul Kopeikin, the Kopeikin Gallery – Los Angeles Center of Photography, July 2014
- “Through The Lens” – Los Angeles Center of Photography, Apr. 2014
- “Voyages” – The Kiernan Gallery, VA Dec. 2013
- “Your Daily Photograph” – Duncan Miller Gallery